When the Forest School began is uncertain but "at the beginning of the last Century, for the purpose of education, a cottage with accommodation for about fifty children had been provided which was the first Parish School at the Forest. Another room had been subsequently added." Probably this is the school referred to in 1828 in a Deed to convey the School to the ownership and control of the Parish when forty-five parishioners contracted to build the School with some offering their labour and others stones, etc. Trustees were appointed and the first Education Committee was formed.
"Children will be taught to read, write and do arithmetic, the principles of the Anglican Church, and such subjects as the schoolmaster can teach."
The annual school holidays will not exceed fifteen days at Christmas; three days for the Summer cutting of vraic, not including the Sunday, eight days for the grain harvest; two days for each of Easter, Whitsun and Midsummer (le Saint Jean); with power to the Directors to modify these holidays as necessary."
More buildings came later. "At half past two in the afternoon of Whit Monday 1902 His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor and Mrs. Saward opened the practically new building which now comprises a large, lofty and well-lighted and apparently well-ventilated room which may conveniently be partitioned off, adapted to the higher branch mixed school; a room of lesser dimensions, but comfortably appointed, wherein the Infants school will be housed, cloakroom and offices, playground at the rear and teachers' retiring room, which will also be available for Committee meetings" - all this for £1,000.
In 1935 two classrooms and cloakrooms were added on to the western end of the School. On June 21st 1940 the children and staff were evacuated to Cheadle Hulme in Cheshire to return after over five long years in exile. The School re-opened again in Guernsey on September, 17th, 1945. During the Occupation the Germans used the School and left a legacy in the shape of the two large sheds which were later used to store the Fete equipment. The sixties saw two huts added and in 1967 the playing field was first in use. During this Summer the P.T.A. opened the splendid swimming pool they had provided through their efforts. They also built the changing room in 1972 and then the activity room which was first used in 1977.
Finally, for reasons of Island economy in 1985, the States Review Committee proposed the closure of the School with the children going to La Houguette and St. Martins. A well-publicised campaign in which more than thirteen thousand people signed a petition against the closure showed the feeling of the Island and the States duly voted 41 - 7 to keep the School open.
In 1998 the States of Guernsey gave final approval for the rebuilding of the school. This took place between April 1998 and October 1999, and the school now has a modern building fit for the requirements of education at the beginning of the 21st Century.
Finally, in 2005, the school acquired three fields adjacent to the Junior playground. Much of this area has now been grassed and is used as playing fields. A 'wild garden' and a pond provide an additional facility for learning about habitats and our local environment. This remains a work in progress, with the recent addition of two willow domes and some hedging. The latest major projects to be completed are the new PTA shed, changing rooms and toilets and the Reception outdoor play area.