Select language

Special Educational Needs

Welcome to the Forest Primary School's SEND page

At Forest we believe that the ‘sky is the limit’ and all children have the potential to achieve everything they possibly can in life, including those with Special Education Needs and Disabilities. We pride ourselves on being an inclusive and rights aware school, and therefore we aim to provide all children with high quality provision that meets their individual needs.

We believe early identification and intervention is important and if a Class Teacher suspects a child may be in need of additional support  their first point of contact is the SENDCo.

If a child is identified as having a Special Education Need they will be provided with an ‘Individual Education Plan’ (IEP) or a ‘My Education Access Plan’ (MEAP). This allows teachers, parents/carers and all staff working with the child to know what support and/or adaptations are required and how to provide this support. IEPs and MEAPs are reviewed and updated termly by the child’s class teacher and in liaison with the SENDCo. The SENDCo will then place the child on the SEND register with their area and current level of need.

We work closely with other support services such as: Educational Psychology, Communication, Interaction and Autism Service (CIAS), Speech and Language Service, Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy to ensure our pupils receive a high level of support.  

Here at Forest we also have a CIAS BASE provision for children who have communication, interaction and autism needs. Our children are supported by CIAS staff who provide our pupils with support in class and in the BASE, where needed. 

If you have any concerns about your child having a Special Educational Need please contact your child’s class teacher or the SENDCo.


Special Educational Needs and Disabilities In Guernsey (SEND)

In Guernsey Education Law (1970) pupils have special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.

  • have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age
  • have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for children of the same age in similar schools

Pupils must not be said to have a learning difficulty only because they speak a language other than English at home. These are considered EAL (English as an Additional Language) pupils.

Areas of need

The Special Educational Needs Code of Practice (Guernsey) states: ‘The main areas of learning difficulty are

  • Cognition and Learning; (C&L)
  • Behaviour, Emotional and Social Development; (now known as Social, Emotional and Mental Health - SEMH)
  • Communication and Interaction; (C&I)
  • Sensory and/or Physical Impairment.'

More information can be found here:;